Enforce the law. Serve our community.
Culpeper County needs a sheriff that enforces our laws, protects our citizens and provides a transparent partner in creating a more lawful, respectful and prosperous community. The three major components of my approach towards effective law enforcement are:
The citizens of Culpeper County are the pillars upon which we must build a better, more lawful & prosperous community. As your sheriff, I will work tirelessly to forge a stronger, more effective partnership between law enforcement and the entire Culpeper community.
I have the vast experience, rich skillset and forward-thinking leadership to make the Culpeper County Sheriff's Office a more professional, transparent & effective force for ensuring public safety, providing effective law enforcement & earning the trust of our citizens.
Honesty & integrity are indispensable cornerstones of community trust. As your sheriff, I will uphold our laws without exception - and will ensure that the Culpeper County Sheriff's Office offers complete transparency to the citizens it is sworn to protect & serve.
Support C.J. Johnson for Sheriff
About C.J. Johnson
- 50 years old
- Happily married to wife, Kristen
- Father of 3 Travis (28) Taylor (24), Lilly (5), 2 grand daughters
- I am a police detective that has dedicated my adult life to serving Culpeper County.
- I have coached youth football, youth basketball, and little league baseball.
- I am a lifetime member of Culpeper County Rescue Squad during which time I served several positions including Lieutenant, President, and Captain.
- I am the treasurer of Culpeper Toy Chest which helps supply toys, clothing, and school supplies to needy children during the Christmas season.
- I am an active member of Culpeper United Methodist Church and serve as a member of the church choir.
- 25 years in Law Enforcement
- Previously 25 years as a CPR/First Aid/AED instructor, as well as 10 years as a medic and a lifetime member of Culpeper County Volunteer Rescue Squad
- 20 years as a DCJS General Instructor – I have taught in the academy, in the department, and to groups of citizens in many areas including civil process, traffic stops, building searches, history of law enforcement, drugs, domestic violence, and gangs, CPR/First Aid/AED, RADAR/LIDAR
- 13 years as a patrol officer
- 2 years in investigations, also worked most of my own cases when assigned to patrol for 13 years
- 4 years assigned to civil process and traffic
- 18 years as a DCJS Speed Enforcement (RADAR) instructor
- 18 years as a Field Training Officer
- 10 years as a Hostage/Crisis Negotiator (previously served as the training coordinator for CCSO Hostage Negotiations Team)
- Certified in CIT (Crisis Intervention Team).
- Certified CIT Trainer
- Trained in Homicide Investigation
- Trained in Bullet Trajectory
- Training in social media investigation
- Training in Domestic Terrorism
- International Chiefs of Police Supervisory Training Program
- 6 years of Gang Investigations/Intelligence with CCSO, trained Gang Specialist and many years of advanced gang training. I was an initial member of Culpeper’s first Gang Task Force.
- 4 years as a DMV Grant Coordinator which included budgeting, scheduling, reporting, setting up and running saturation patrols and checkpoints for driver’s licenses/DUI checkpoints
- 8 years as a Corporal – serving 1 year in the jail division and 7 in the patrol division
- 5 years as a Sergeant – serving patrol, civil process, and traffic divisions, as well as supervising numerous special events which included developing and executing operational plans
- I served several years as the equipment and supply officer for CCSO.
- I have obtained DCJS supervisory training for first line supervisors, community policing for supervisors, and civil liabilities for supervisors.
- I established CCSO’s child safety seat program and developed the policy and procedure for this project as well as updating some other policies and procedures.
- I have approximately 11 years of business management experience. I have supervised as many as 40 people at a time. I have worked with multi-million dollar budgets, handled numerous projects simultaneously, and handled human resource functions while giving the best possible customer service maintaining company expectations and driving sales. I successfully completed management training programs for three companies in the private sector (Golden Corral, Ace Hardware, and Petsmart).
During my career, I have received awards for Deputy of the Year, numerous consecutive MADD awards, and an award from the Click-It-Or-Ticket program for Supervisory Excellence.